Why you should check if your Solar Installer uses only Genuine M Connectors
What is a MC4 Connector?
MC4 Connectors are a small but important component of solar installation. With so many cheap copies available in the marketplace today, it is crucial that only original MC4 connectors are used to reduce the risk of overheating which could lead to a fire.
For those who like to get technical, MC4 stands for the manufacturer Multi-Contact and size (4mm2) of the contact assembly pin. MC4 Connectors are single-contact electrical connectors commonly used for connecting solar panels. MC4s allow strings of panels to be constructed through pushing the connectors from adjacent panels together. MC4 Connectors have been used to equip almost all solar panels produced since about 2011.
Benefits of Genuine MC4 Connectors
It is very important that you do your research and check with your solar installer making sure they use only original MC4 Connectors. There are an increasing number of counterfeit copies being made overseas appearing in the market. The benefits of using genuine MC4 Connectors include:
- Quality product that has been stringently tested and used over a long period of time.
- Longer product life.
- Lower maintenance costs.
- Energy savings and minimal loss of power.
- Minimal heat build-up, preventing overheating from occurring.
Why should only Genuine MC4 Connectors be used?
While from the outside it can be difficult to distinguish a genuine MC4 connector from a copy, the technical comparisons differ greatly. Serious deficiencies in such copies can result in damage during installation or may even lead to fire.
Furthermore, the use of copies instead of genuine MC4 connectors may result in the following:
- Using different brands can cause the mis-mating of connections, resulting in poor connections. This can cause a rise in temperature, which could result in overheating the system, or could allow water to enter, possibly resulting in a fire.
- Someone could be electrocuted when touching the connector where poor connections allow rain and dust to enter, reducing the insulating properties of the connector.
- System failure is more likely to occur and a fire could lead to the loss of a home or someone’s life.
- Re-work will need to be undertaken if the system is working incorrectly.
- Copies have not undergone the same stringent testing that genuine MC4 connectors have. Multi-Contact has been a part of the industry for more than 10 years and has thoroughly researched and tested the behavior of their connectors over a long period of time.
- The installation would not meet Clean Energy Council’s guidelines and breaches the Council’s Code of Conduct.
Globe Electrical Solutions only uses Genuine MC4 Connectors
At Globe Electrical Solutions you can be sure you will receive the benefits of MC4 connects – as we use only the original MC4 connectors to ensure that your installation is a safe as possible. Globe Electrical provide qualified electricians with more than 25 years experience. We are highly experienced solar installers and we can provide advice on the best solar panels and inverters for your home. Brisbane electricians, Globe Electrical Solutions are Clean Energy Council-accredited solar installers and we will strive to help you reduce your electricity bill as much as possible.
If you would like further information on how we can help you reduce your bill, contact us today.